Deadline: March 29, 2022
Current employment opportunities exist at the Richmond Art Gallery for part-time and on-call Gallery Attendants starting April 2022. Gallery Attendants help to create an accessible and enjoyable experience in the Art Gallery assisting visitors with a general understanding of current art exhibitions, while also focusing on protecting the art works and monitoring the gallery spaces.
This is a part-time position, working 1 shift per week on Saturdays or Sundays. On-call Attendants work various 4-5 hour shifts throughout the week, including weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receiving the public: Greeting all visitors and offering information on exhibitions, programs, and memberships; Answering a wide range of general questions from visitors, in person, by phone and email in a courteous and respectful manner while upholding Gallery policies.
- Securing the gallery and its contents: Circulating frequently through the gallery to deter acts of vandalism, theft or negligence and ensure the safety of guests; Accounting for works of art in exhibitions, equipment and furniture upon opening and closing procedures and during regular rounds.
- Maintaining reception and gallery spaces: Working with all staff on various administrative duties such as membership database, attendance record updating, marketing mail outs, and online research; Ensuring reception, public areas and literature displays are organized and tidy.
- Part-time hours of a minimum of 1 day per week. Sunday shift is from 12:00 – 5:00 pm.
- On-call positions to cover staff sickness and vacation times, may lead to a permanent shift.
- New Attendants are required to attend two orientation sessions prior to the start of duties. Once completed, all Attendants attend a 2-hour orientation session prior to the opening of each new exhibition.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of experience dealing with the public in a customer service or hospitality environment. Hospitality-oriented individual with strong people skills is preferred.
- Friendly and outgoing, possessing strong communication skills to interact with diverse visitors of all ages.
- The ability to clearly speak, write and understand the English language. (Speaking Mandarin is an asset).
- Familiarity with art galleries/museums; strong interest in contemporary art.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Strong sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, diplomacy with the public, and comfortable working independently.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks during gallery events, as well as remain focused and attentive for long periods of time in a very quiet environment.
- On-call position – Must have flexible schedule and able to accept assignments on short notice.
Wage: $15.20 an hour (increased to $15.65 as of June 1st, 2022)
Send resume and cover letter via email to:
Kathy Tycholis, Education & Public Programs Coordinator : firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.